This is something I love having for breakfast, especially since button mushrooms are one of my favorites. This makes for a very quick breakfast, especially if you've already sautéed the mushrooms and stored them in the refrigerator (see TimeSavers/Tips, tip #4). It's delicious, nutritious, and very filling too. Great for any day of the week!
To serve 2
- 50 g button mushrooms, sliced into quarters.
- 1/4th cup milk
- 1 slice of cheese or half a cheese chiplet/cube, grated-(I used Britannia)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 bread slices
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Toast the bread slices, with or without butter.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and tip in the quartered mushrooms.
- Add the dried herbs and salt and stir for a minute.
- Pour the milk and cover until the mushrooms are cooked through (you will need more milk and more time if the mushrooms are raw).
- Then add the cheese slice or cube, grated.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- At the end, the milk should have reduced to a creamy consistency.
- Spread this on top of the bread slices.
If you are a non-vegetarian, serve with a side of eggs, ham/bacon/sausages-yummy!