Thursday, September 16, 2010

Luncheon Meat Scramble

I know that fresh foods are any day healthier than canned/processed foods. That said, I still stock my pantry with one to two varieties of canned foods, like luncheon meat and tinned fish, for emergency situations-unexpected guests, arriving home late at night after a long day out and having no energy or time to cook, or just for those times when you don't get fresh meat/fish.

Personally, I love tinned fish and luncheon meat as it was also a favorite with my family when growing up. Although luncheon meat technically is ready-to-eat, I guess being Indians, we like it curried up a bit! 

This recipe is my dad's signature dish. He is a natural, intuitive cook who invariably comes up with a mouthwatering dish even if he doesn't have a pre-planned recipe in mind. The only thing is that he needs an assistant while cooking-the way a surgeon in an operation theater needs an assistant who hands over the correct instrument at the correct time, my dad needs someone by his side to hand over the masalas and spices at the correct time!  But the end result would be well worth the effort. I still remember how once, when I was about 9 years old and all of us were down with a cold, my dad marched into the kitchen and made a pepper chicken-which made our cold vanish without a trace! Guess that's the advantage of having a doctor who can also cook :-)

This recipe has very simple ingredients, but it's supertasty-more so when my dad makes it!!!



Serves 4
Ingredients
  1. 1 tin luncheon meat, cut into chunks (I used pork)
  2. 1 large onion, chopped fine
  3. 1 green chilli, chopped fine
  4. 1 large tomato, diced
  5. 1 teaspoon chilli powder
  6. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  7. 1 egg
  8. A handful cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped
  9. Salt and pepper to taste
  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Put in the onions and green chillies and stir around till translucent.
  • Add the tomatoes and stir till pulpy.
  • Add the chilli powder and turmeric powder and stir for a minute.
  • Tip in the chunks of luncheon meat and smash and stir it around till it's a messy scramble! Fry on low heat for 5 minutes.
  • Make a well in the center and break the egg into it. Turn on the heat to high and wait for a minute.
  • Now scramble the egg in the center and mix everything around once again.
  • At this stage, you can add some water if you want a gravy and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Garnish with cilantro.
TIPS:
Serve with rotis or rolled up in a chapathi or tortilla, like a wrap!
Adding an egg is optional. In the picture above, I have not added an egg-but only because I forgot!!
Adding some tomato sauce at the end stage would jazz it up even more :-)

1 comments:

Emreen said...

Wow ! Luks like everyone in the family is a culinary expert ...!!! ;-) ;-) This is a great idea for last minute preparations for guests...

ShareThis